Novosibirsk is one of the largest cities in Russia. It is located in Siberia, at a distance of 2800 kilometers east of Moscow. The population of Novosibirsk is over 1.5 million people. It is the third most populous city in Russia. Quite a few tourists from Europe and America visit Novosibirsk. Only the most persistent decide on such a journey. Maybe you decide to visit the capital of Siberia?
Novosibirsk is the administrative center of the Siberian Federal District of Russia, as well as the administrative center of Novosibirsk Oblast region. Novosibirsk is sometimes informally referred to as the “Capital of Siberia”.
The city was founded in 1893. In its short history, the city had different names: up to 1895 - Alexandrovsky, from 1895 to 1903 - Novo Nikolaevsky, until 1926 - Novo Nikolaevsk. City status Novosibirsk received in 1903.
Novosibirsk is located in the south- eastern part of the West Siberian Plain. Distance from Novosibirsk to the most western city of Russia (Kaliningrad) is approximately 3,900 kilometers; the distance to Vladivostok is approximately 3700 kilometers. The city lies on both banks of the Ob River. The length of the city from north to south is about 40 km, and from east to west - 25 km.
- Russia - information for travelers.
- Look for flights and buy tickets online.
- Trains tickets for of Russian railways.
- The best sites for finding and booking hotels.
- The world map of tourist destinations.
Novosibirsk is located in the continental climate zone. The average annual air temperature is +1,8°C. The city climate is characterized by large fluctuations in average (38°C) temperatures. The average temperature in January is -16°C, in July +19°C. The lowest temperature was recorded in Novosibirsk (27 December 1914) January 9, 1915 (-51,1°C), the highest - 7 July 2005 (+37°C). The difference between the maximum and minimum fixed air temperatures is 88°C!
Attractions & Places to visit
Novosibirsk is relatively young city and there aare no famous historic sites (compared to the popular tourist cities in Europe). However, there are places that may be of interest to tourists in Novosibirsk.
- Opera House. The building of the Novosibirsk State Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre is one of the largest Russian theater buildings. The large hall of the theater seats 1,774 people. Dome diameter is about 60 meters. Address: Novosibirsk, Red Prospect, 36. The nearest metro station – “Lenin Square”.
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is one of the first brick buildings in Novosibirsk (Novonikolaevsk). Construction of the cathedral was built in the years 1897-1899. Address: Sovetskaya str., 1a.
- Novosibirsk museum of railway equipment. The museum contains a large collection of steam locomotives, diesel locomotives, electric locomotives and wagons and passenger cars produced in USSR. The total length of the fairground is about three kilometers. Address: Novosibirsk, “Rathyezdnaya” street, 35.
- Novosibirsk Metro Bridge. The bridge for metro trains across the Ob River is the longest subway bridge in the world. The bridge is 2145 meters long. The rail bridge was opened in 1986.
- Novosibirsk reservoir. Novosibirsk reservoir occurred after the construction of the Novosibirsk hydroelectric dam. It is a popular holiday destination and venue for the various sport competitions. The total area is 1,082 km ².
- Novosibirsk Zoo is one of the largest zoos in Russia. The zoo contains over 700 species of animals. Address: Novosibirsk, Timirjazeva street 71/1.
- Central Siberian Botanical Garden. Botanical Garden is located in the immediate vicinity of Novosibirsk Akademgorodok (Science city) and covers an area of over 1,000 hectares.
- Novosibirsk State Art Museum.
- Novosibirsk State Museum. Address: “Vokzalnaya” highway, 11
- Novosibirsk museum of railway equipment.
Novosibirsk is a major transportation hub
Novosibirsk is a major transportation hub in Siberia. Through the city pass one of the world’s longest roads - the Trans-Siberian Railway (Moscow - Vladivostok). Through Novosibirsk passes many railways and highways that connect the eastern and western parts of the country. Car highway goes from town to 6 directions: Federal Highway M51 (in the direction to Omsk), Federal Highway “Baikal” M53 (towards Kolyvan, Jurga), R384 (to Leninsk-Kuzneckiy), “Chuiski Tract” M52 (Barnaul), R380 (“Stone by Ob”).
Tolmachevo Airport. The international airport of Novosibirsk is located at a distance of about 17 kilometers from the city center. To get to the airport from Novosibirsk is possible by bus. Bus number “111 Э” departs from the central station and the bus station.
Railway station. Railway station “Novosibirsk-Central” - one of the largest train stations in the country, one of the architectural highlights of the city. Station is located in the central part of the city. Address: Novosibirsk, Shamshurin Dmitri street, 43. Nearest metro station: “Garin – Mikhailovsky square”.