You are here

“Samson” fountain

English

“Samson” fountain (Samson rending the lion's mouth) is the most famous fountain in Peterhof (along with the “Grand cascade”). The decision to build the fountain was made in 1734. Fountain began operating in 1736. The sculpture was supposed to symbolize victory over the Sweden army in the Great Northern War between Sweden and Russia (1700–1721). The fountain is located at the bottom of the “Grand Cascade” fountain.

During World War II, the sculpture of Samson was stolen by the Nazis. The sculpture was restored by the photos in 1947. The height of the fountain water jet is 20 meters. It is tourist's photo from Peterhof.

Peterhof is a place that should be visited by all tourists in St. Petersburg.

Advertisement



Join our Facebook Travel group to follow the news, discuss topics and publish comments. Due to the increased activity of spammers, comments publication is temporarily suspended (for unregistered users). #visitplus #visit_plus.



On our site there are advertising and partner links. This means that we can sometimes get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our partners. We do not register new users and do not store personal information. Some of the services interacting with the site use cookies to improve service.

Useful linkGuides: Paris, Rome, Barcelona, Helsinki, St. Petersburg and other top destinations.

Useful linkUseful online services: the best websites for hotel booking, find flights, railway tickets.

Book hotels online around the world.


Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer