Tallinnan “Toomplea” castle is located in the southwest part of the Old City in Tallinn. The castle was built in 13-14 centuries. The photo shows a view of the castle from the foot of the Toomplea hill. The photo also shows the highest tower of the Old Town of Tallinn. The tower name is “Long Hermann”. Every day, in the morning, on the tower raise the flag of the Republic of Estonia. The castle is easy to get by foot from the Viru Gates, Town Hall Square or from the passenger port through the Great Coastal Gate.
Construction of the castle on the hill began in 1219. Later the castle and fortress for years reinforced and rebuilt. The highest tower of the old town, the “Long Hermann” tower, was built in the mid-14th century. In the 16th century, the tower has been rebuilt by increasing the height of 10 meters. Today the tower is 45.5 meters high. To the present day saved north and western walls of the castle and three towers. The castle many times in its history passed from hand to hand.
Location of the castle can be seen on a map of Tallinn.