“Bolshoy Drama Tovstonogov Theater” (BDT) in Saint Petersburg was founded in 1919 on the initiative of the famous writer Maxim Gorky and theaters and circuses official Maria Andreeva. The theater was named after Tovstonogov since 1992(from 1932 to 1992 it was named Gorky). Many well-known Russian (Soviet Union) actors performed in the theater at different times. The theater repertoire contains both Russian and world theatre classics and contemporary author’s works. It is one of the most famous drama theaters in St. Petersburg.
The main building of the Bolshoy Drama Theater is located in the city center, at the Fontanka River embankment 65. The building was built in 1876-1878 years by the architect Fontan. AS Suvorin theater was located in the building before the revolution 1917. The theater also has a building on “Kamenny Ostrov” Island in St. Petersburg.
Address: Russia, St. Petersburg, Fontanka River embankment 65 (see location on the map).