Novodevichy Convent in Moscow (also known as Bogoroditse-Smolensky Monastery) is one of the most famous sights of the city. The architectural complex of the monastery was proclaimed a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2004. There are many churches and other buildings that may be interesting for tourists in the monastery. Many Russia famous people were buried on the Novodevichy cemetery.
The monastery was founded by Grand Prince Vasily III in 1524. Original title: The great monastery of the Most Pure Virgin Hodegetria New Maiden Monastery. In the first century of its existence, the monastery also served as a prison of royals female.
During Soviet times, the monastery was closed. The museum operated in its territory. The monastic community was restored in 1994. 22 March 2010 Novodevichy Convent transferred to the Orthodox Church.
- Novodevichy Convent in Moscow is located approximately 5 kilometers south-west of the Kremlin and Red Square, near the Moskva River. The Convent territory is enclosed within walls and surrounded by a park.
- The nearest metro station "Sportivnaya" is located at a distance of approximately 500 meters.
- Address: Moscow, Novodevichy passage, 1.