Moscow is served by several airports. The largest number of tourists and city residents serve three major airports: "Domodedovo", "Sheremetyevo" and "Vnukovo".
Sheremetyevo international airport (Международный аэропорт Шереметьево) is one of the main airports of Moscow and the Moscow region. It is the busiest airport in Russia by passenger traffic airport and one of the largest in Europe. Sheremetyevo airport handled 31.6 million passengers in 2015. The airport international code is SVO. It is possible to get to the airport from Moscow (or from airport to Moscow) by various modes of transport.
Sheremetyevo airport is located to north-west of Moscow, on territory of the Khimki municipality (Moscow region). The airport is located just north of the Khimki city at a distance about 10 kilometers from the Moscow Ring Road (MKAD). The distance from the airport to the center of Moscow (the Kremlin and Red Square) is approximately 28 kilometers.
Sheremetyevo Airport has two parallel runways. There are plans to build a third runway. Terminals A and C are located north of the runway. The terminals D, E, F are located in the southern part of the airport.
Sheremetyevo Airport has five passenger terminals: A (serving business aviation passengers), C, D, E, F (serve passengers of domestic and international flights) and a cargo terminal.
The B terminal is now removed. A new terminal is under construction on its place, which is planned to be built by 2017.
Terminals D, E and F are connected by pedestrian crossings. Free shuttle bus runs between south airport part (terminals D, E, F) and terminal C.
How to get to Moscow from the airport
There are several modes of transport available for one to travel to and from the Sheremetyevo airport.
- "Aeroexpress" trains run between Belorussky train station in Moscow (Belorusskaya metro station) and the Sheremetyevo airport. The train station is located near Terminal E. Exit into the station located on the 1st floor of the terminal E. Ticket prices start from 420 rubles (2016).
- It is possible to get to the airport by bus №851 from metro station Rechnoy Vokzal. The ticket price is about 50 rubles (2016).
- The airport can be reached by bus №817 from the underground station Planernaya. There are bus stops close to terminals F, D, B, C.
- At night, the airport can be reached by bus number N1. The bus route passes close to the metro stations Voikovskaya, Sokol, Airport, Dynamo, Oktyabrskaya, Leninsky Prospect, Yugo-Zapadnaya, heading up the street Oktyabrskaya (2016).
- Taxi services are available at all airport terminals. It is the most convenient way to get to the airport at night.
- To get to the airport by car, you need leave from Moscow to Leningrad Highway, then turn to the Meždunarodnaya Highway (follow the signs).
Airport address: Russia, 141400, Moscow Region, Khimki, Sheremetyevo Airport.
Website www.svo.aero. Information is available in English, Russian and Chinese languages.
- 👉 Book a transfer (taxi 🚕) from Sheremetyevo Airport to the center of Moscow.
- 👉 Find flights to Moscow easily and quickly at the best price.
- 👉 Book your hotel in a convenient location in Moscow online.
Taxi from Sheremetyevo Airport to your destination on Moscow
Taxi is the best choice if:
- You travel with a child.
- You have a large suitcase (luggage) with you.
- You are a small group of travelers.
- Your destination is far from the metro station.
In the process of ordering a taxi, select the necessary options: child seat, English-speaking driver, reverse transfer, additional waiting time at the airport, drinking water.
Book a taxi 🚕 online.
Hotels near to Sheremetyevo airport, Moscow, Russia
Whether you’re looking for budget or luxury hotels near Sheremetyevo Airport there’s plenty of choice. The following are several hotels close to the airport.
- Sheraton Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport hotel. Address: Meždunarodnaya Highway, 28B, Building 5, Khimki, Moscow region, Russia.
- Aviator Hotel Sheremetyevo. Address: Khimki, Russia.
- Park Inn by Radisson Sheremetyevo Airport Moscow. Address: Meždunarodnaya Highway,1, Khimki, Moscow region, Russia.
- Radisson Blu Sheremetyevo Airport Moscow. Address: Meždunarodnoye Shosse, 2, Khimki, Russia.
The nearest large shopping center IKEA Khimki is located approximately 8 kilometers from the airport, near the Leningrad highway.
Tourists need to get to the nearest metro station, to reach the sights, museums and popular tourist spots in Moscow. For example, the Belorusskaya metro station can be reached by train. The bus is the best way to get to Planernaya and Rechnoy Vokzal metro stations from the airport.
The nearest metro station for popular tourist sites in Moscow:
- Kremlin, Red Square, Historical Museum. Metro stations Ploshad Revolutsii, Okhotny Ryad, the Lenin Library.
- Arbat pedestrian street. Arbaskaya metro station.
- Tretyakov Gallery. Tretyakovskaya metro station.
Find out more about of Moscow attractions and the nearest to it underground stations.
The airport location is shown on the map at the bottom of the page.