You are here

Tiberius Bridge in Rimini

Submitted by Visit Plus on Sun, 02/24/2013 - 17:14

Tiberius Bridge is one of the main attractions of Rimini (Italy). Bridge picture is on the arms of the city of Rimini. Construction of the bridge began in 14 AD during the reign of Augustus, and ended in 21 under the reign of Tiberius. For this reason the bridge is called as the Bridge of August and Tiberius (Ponte di Augusto, Ponte di Tiberio).

The bridge passes over the river Marecchia and consists of five arches. It was destroyed in 580 by the Goths, and restored in 1680. Tiberius Bridge is the only bridge across the river Marecchia that has not been destroyed by German troops during the Second World War. It is believed that the bridge is so strong that it could not be destroyed. There is also the view that the German officer had plenty of taste and common sense, to not destroy the bridge, which stood here for 2000 years.

The bridge is open for pedestrians and vehicles, except trucks.

From Tiberius Bridge (Ponte di Tiberio) to the arch of August (Arco trionfale di Augusto) is street “Corso D'August”, next to which are many attractions and shops. Tiberius Bridge is located about 1 km from Rimini Railway Station (to west).

The photo was taken during a tourist trip to Italy in February 2013.


On our site there are advertising and partner links. This means that we can sometimes get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our partners. We do not register new users and do not store personal information. Some of the services interacting with the site use cookies to improve service.