Menshikov Palace is a branch of the Hermitage Museum. The palace was built for the first governor of St. Petersburg, Alexander Menshikov. It is a Petrine Baroque edifice in Saint Petersburg. Menshikov Palace was built in 1710 - 1720 years by the architects Fontana and Schedel. Finishing work continued until 1727. Menshikov Palace gives an idea about how to live the Russian elite, people close to the tsar during the reign of Peter the first.
AD Menshikov was the most famous assistant of Peter the Grate. He was one of the most influential and one of the richest men in Russia during the reign of Peter the Great. Menshikov was also the first governor of St. Petersburg. The palace was built in the center of St. Petersburg on Vasilievsky Island. It was the first stone building in St. Petersburg. The best and most expensive materials were used for decoration of palace. In 1727, Prince Menshikov was accused of treason and embezzlement. His palace was confiscated. It has served as a public museum, a branch of the Hermitage Museum with a collection of Russian art of the late 17th early 18th century since 1981.
Currently the palace is a museum dedicated to the Russian of the XVIII century. Permanent and temporary exhibitions occupy 30 halls.
Address: Universitetskaya Embankment 15, Saint Petersburg.
The nearest metro station: Vasilyeostrovskaya.