Cruiser Aurora is one of the most famous sights of St. Petersburg. It is located at the Petrogradskaya embankment, approximately 1 kilometer to east of the Peter and Paul fortress. During Soviet times, it was considered as one of the October Revolution of 1917 symbol, and the majority of visitors tried to visit it in St. Petersburg. It is a museum on the ship now.
Baltic Fleet cruiser "Aurora" was laid down in 1897 in the Admiralty shipyard in St. Petersburg. The cruiser was officially launched on 11 May 1900 under the personal command of the Emperor Nicholas II. The warship was named in honor of the sailing frigate "Aurora", which was part of the Baltic Fleet from 1835 to 1861.
During the Russian-Japanese War, the cruiser made the transition to the Far East (1904 - 1905). The cruiser "Aurora", took part in the hostilities, including participate in the Tsushima battle on 14-15 May 1905. The ship served as a training cruiser later. Aurora also took part in the First World War. The crew of the Aurora cruiser was actively involved in the revolutionary events in Petrograd In 1917. In one version, a blank shot from her forecastle gun signaled the start of the assault on the Winter Palace in 1917.
During the Second World War the guns were taken from the ship and used in the land defense of Leningrad. The crew fought Nazi troops on the land. The ship herself was docked in Oranienbaum port, and was repeatedly shelled and bombed. On 30 September 1941 she was damaged and sunk in the harbor.
After extensive repairs from 1945 to 1947, Aurora was permanently anchored on the Neva in Leningrad (now St. Petersburg again) as a monument to the Great October Socialist Revolution. In 1957 she became a museum-ship, a branch of the Central Naval Museum.
During Soviet times, the cruiser Aurora was a symbol of revolution, a symbol of the struggle of working people against the capitalists. 6-th June 2009 on board the legendary cruiser was a party, causing a negative reaction in society. Among the guests were the President's representative, Minister of the Russian government, and also governor of St. Petersburg. Grown up in the Soviet Union people had was perceived this as an insult.
- Came into operation - July 16, 1903.
- Total displacement - 6731 m.
- Length - 126.7 m
- Width - 16,8 m.
- Draught - 6,2 m.
- Power mechanisms - 11,971 hp.
- Speed - 20.0 knots.
- Cruising Range - 4,000 miles (7,200 km).
- Fuel capacity - 964 tons of coal.
- The crew - 570 people (officers - 20).
- Cannon caliber 152 mm 8 pcs.
- Cannon caliber 75 mm 24 pcs.
- 37-mm cannon 8 pieces.
- The gun caliber 63,5 mm 2 pcs.
- Torpedo tubes caliber 381 mm 3 pcs.