Metro station “Okhotny Ryad” (Охотный Ряд) is located in the historical center of Moscow, near main attractions of the Moscow. It is the nearest station to the “Red Square”. Metro station “Okhotny Ryad” is a station of Moscow metro “Sokolnicheskaya” line (line 1, red line). It is located between stations “Lubyanka” and “Biblioteka imeni Lenina”, at the intersection of “Mokhovaya” and “Tverskaya” streets, near the “Manegnaya” square.
Metro station “Okhotny Ryad” was opened May 15, 1935. Station name associated with the history of the city. In XVIII-XIX centuries here was place where traded hunted. The area called “Ploschad Okhotnogo Rjada” (associated with word “Охота”, hanting) and later came the street “Okhotny Ryad”.
Political events in the Russia was influenced the name of the station. This is the only station in Moscow, which changed its name four times: “Okhotny Ryad” (1935-1955), the station “Imeni Kaganovicha” (1955-1957), the station “Okhotny Ryad” (1957-1961), the station “Prospekt Marksa” (1961 to 1990). The station for the third time gets back its historical name “Okhotny Ryad” in 1990.
The station has two subterranean vestibules, each linked with the platform via an escalator. The eastern vestibule, through a mezzanine level is situated on the ground floor of a building situated on the corner of “Bolshaya Dmitrovka” street, Teatralny Drive, and Teatralnaya Square. The vestibule also acts as a transfer point to the Teatralnaya station.
The western vestibule's dual descent entrances are on both corners of the Tverskaya Street.
Direct access to vestibule is from underground mall under the Manezhnaya Square.
It is possible to go to the station “Teatralnaya” of Zamoskvoretskaya line from metro station “Okhotny Ryad”. Transition is possible by located in hall central part escalators, as well as through the combined with “Teatralnaya” station vestibule. The station has exits to the “Teatralnaya” square and “Manezhnaya” square (shopping center under the Manege Square). You can also go to the station “Ploschad Revolyutsii” of Arbatsko-Pokrovskaya line (through the station “Teatralnaya”). There is no direct transfer to Ploshchad Revolyutsii station of the Arbatsko-Pokrovskaya Line, which must be reached via Teatralnaya station.
There are some places of interest, located near the metro station “Okhotny Ryad”:
- Moscow Kremlin. The Moscow Kremlin is the main attraction of the Russian capital, a symbol of Russia. The Kremlin is the historical center of the city.
- Red Square. Red Square is the main square of Russia. Everyone visiting the capital of Russian tourists visit this place. On the square is the most famous Kremlin tower - Spasskaya Tower. (Distance from the metro station about 300 m.)
- St. Basil's Cathedral. The most famous cathedral in Moscow and Russia. One of the most beautiful churches of Moscow. (Distance from metro station about 650 m.)
- “Vasilyevsky Spusk”. “Vasilievsky Spusk” square is located between St. Basil's Cathedral and the “Moskva” river. Public events are often held here.
- National Library of Russia. (Distance of approximately 600 m.)
- Bolshoi Theatre. It is the most famous Russian theater. The theater is known all over the world. (Distance about 400 m.)
- Historical Museum. The biggest historical museum in Russia is located on the Red Square. (The distance is about 250 m.)
- Shopping center “Okhotny Ryad” is located under the “Manegnaya Square”.
Moscow: attractions, museums, theaters, shopping malls, useful information.
Moscow metro - information for tourists.
Metro map - Moscow metro stations and lines location on map.
Guided Moscow metro tour (you'll see the most beautiful stations).
The best accommodation for tourists: hotels near the Red Square in Moscow.
Metro station "Okhotny Rydd" location map.