Pattaya City (เมือง พัทยา) is one of the most popular resorts in Thailand for tourists from many countries. Pattaya is located on the coast of the Gulf of Thailand, approximately 160 kilometers from the capital of Thailand Bangkok. Resident population of the city is approximately 100,000 inhabitants. In fact, due to the large number of tourists, on the area of Pattaya live over 500,000 people. A large number of European citizens permanently residing in Pattaya.
Pattaya city is located in the subequatorial climate area. The dry season lasts from December to February. This is the best time to visit this region. At this time in Pattaya rarely falls precipitation and is not too hot. The wet season lasts from March to November. According to statistics the greatest amount of precipitation falls in May, September and October. According to many experienced travel enthusiasts, this region is a good place for a vacation, even in the rainy season (especially from June to August).
Pattaya Beach can be considered as central part of the city. Along the beach is Pattaya central street – “Beach road”. At a distance from the sea laid bypass highway - Sukhumvit Road. Sukhumvit Road is connected to the waterfront by streets: North road, South road and Central road. Parallel to the Beach road and the Sukhumuit road (from North to South Street) are laid Second Street and Third Street. There are many small streets (lines), which have numbers instead of names, between the central streets. At intersections of streets sometimes found round-shaped blue pointers on which is written the name of the street (below), and number of the lane (at the top).
On the embankment (with access to Second Street) are located some shopping centers: Central Festival, Mike Shopping Mall, Royal Garden Plaza. There are many shops and hotels. There are always a lot of tourists, vendors of various goods, souvenirs and street food vendors.
In the south of Pattaya embankment becomes famous “Walking Street”, which has a great number of restaurants and bars. After 20:00 the street is closed to traffic. Near the southern part of Walking Street is the pier from which boats depart to “Koh Larn” island.
To south from central Pattaya is located Pratamnak hill. On the hill is located one of the attractions of the city - a big statue of Buddha. There is also an amusement park, a hotel and water park near the hill.
To south of Pratamnak hill is located Jomtien district. There is a large beach and a large number of hotels. From Sukhumvit road to the Jomtien northern part leads Teppasit street.
The northern part of Pattaya has a name Naklua. There also are a lot of hotels and there is located one of the landmarks – “The Sanctuary of Truth” temple.
Attractions in Pattaya
There are many interesting places for curious tourists in the city of Pattaya and near to it. To get to some of them you can walk, sometimes it's better to use a taxi or use the services of travel companies. Location of most attractions as well as some shops and hotels, you can look at a map of Pattaya.
- Golden Buddha figure on Pratamnak hill. Big Buddha is located in the central part of the city and is easy to walk. There are other interesting buildings nearby. More details about Golden Buddha.
- Mini Siam Park. There are many copies of famous landmarks from around the world in the park: the Eiffel Tower, Tower Bridge, Cologne Cathedral, St. Basil's Cathedral, Statue of Liberty and more. Nearby is a beautiful Buddhist temple. The park is located near Sukhumvit Road.
- Million Years Stone Park. It is beautiful park where you can see petrified trunks of ancient trees and rocks bizarre. There is also a small zoo and a crocodile farm in the park. Here you can take a picture with a tiger or elephant and watch the show with the crocodiles. More details about park.
- The “Wat Yansangwararam” temple. The temple complex has several beautiful Buddhist temples and other beautiful buildings.
- “Wihan Sian” museum. The museum “Wihan Sian” contains many interesting exhibits, which are related to the culture of China and Thailand. There are also several well-known figures of the Terracotta Army soldiers in museum. More details about the temple.
- Buddha image on a rock. Golden Buddha image formed on the cliff side. It is argued that it is the tallest Buddha image in the world. More details about this attraction.
- The Sanctuary of Truth temple. The Sanctuary of Truth is the highest wooden building in Pattaya. The temple is situated in the northern part of the city.
- “Heaven and Hell” temple. “Wat Saen Suk” temple is located in Bang Saen, near the city of Pattaya.
- “Nong Nooch” park. Nong Nooch Village is a beautiful example of landscape design. The park is located south of the city of Pattaya.
- Floating market. Floating market is considered as one of the local attractions. The market was created specifically for tourists. Shops, cafes, walkways are built on stilts over the water.